We work together to continually develop and implement sustainable solutions. Through Green Thread, our environmental sustainability platform, we bring innovative and efficient solutions to life. We are passionately focused on reducing the environmental impact within our operations.
Here are just a few ways we work to make our campus more environmentally conscious:
Local and Responsible Purchasing
Did you know Dining Services sources food from many local farmers, growers and distributors? The list changes throughout the year depending on seasonality and availability.
Current list of farms:
- 3G Farms (Devine, TX)
- 9-1 Farms (San Antonio, TX)
- J&B Farms (Hondo, TX)
- Local Sprout (San Antonio, TX)
- Bella Verdi Farms (Austin, TX)
- Naegelin Farm (Lytle, TX)
- Bluebonnet Farm (Schertz, TX)
- My Father's Farm (Seguin, TX)
- Kubena Farms (Seguin, TX)
- Braune Farm (Seguin, TX)
- Pedernales Valley Farms (Fredericksburg, TX)
- Vogel Farms (Stonewall, TX)
- Johnson Backyard Garden (Austin, TX)
- C&S Groves (McAllen, TX)
- Village Farms (Marfa, TX)
- Francis and Thatcher Farms (Manor, TX)
- Wood Ducks Farms (Cleveland, TX)
- Generation Farms (Rice, TX)
- Round House (Rice, TX)
- Green Valley Foods (Dallas, TX)
We completed our transition to cage-free shell eggs in 2015.
Recycled Content Paper
Energy & Water Conservation
Greener To-go Containers
Dining Services stopped using styrofoam to-go boxes. Instead, recyclable plastic containers are now given in the Commons Food Court.
Take part in our reusable mug program to reduce waste and receive a discount on fountain and coffee beverages in many of our dining locations.
We now have an Eco-to-Go Container Program. Eco-to-Go FAQ:
- Containers cost $8 at POD Mabee
- You will be given a wood token with your purchase to redeem at Mabee only
- If you’d like to take food to go, hand the cashier the wood token when you swipe/pay at Mabee
- Container cannot be given once you are already in Mabee. If you would like to take a container once you’ve been in Mabee, you must swipe/pay again (Container can only be given when you first pay/swipe)
- Once you get your container, you must enter through the door to the left of the register
- Your container must close before you leave
- You must exit through the same door
- When you bring your container back (dirty), the cashier will either give you a token or a container if you’d like to take food again
- If you lose your token or container, you must pay another $8 to be part of the program again